|Wimax Indoor Internet Connection Modem||Wimax Outdoor Internet Connection Modem|
- Wimax is short for World Wide Interoperability for Microwave Access
- It operates like Wi-fi using wireless radio signal and covers a bigger WAN than Wi-fi and greater speeds. It is mean’t to replace cable DSL connection and provide broad band to remote inaccessible areas where there is no cable networks.
- Covers an area of 3000 square miles.
Wimax system consists of two parts;
- Wimax tower similar to a cell-phone tower providing coverage as big as 3000 square miles.
- Wimax receiver- receiver and an antenna could be a small box or PCMCIA card or they could be built into a laptop the way wi-fi is today
Wimax provides two forms of wireless service.
Non-line-of-sight. Where a small antenna on your pc connects to a wimax tower using low frequency radio signal (2GHz-11GHz) similar to wifi.
Line-of-sight,(back haul). Where a fixed dish antenna points straight at the wimax tower from a roof top or pole.
This radio connection is stronger and more stable so its able to send a lot of data.
Some of the advantages;
Links inaccessible areas to broadband internet-Gives access to WLANs like hotspots-Smart and easy mobile connections-Cheap as doesn’t require cabling-Allow VPN creation etc