This is a private communication connection for a particular client, and the connection is not shared with any other customerOther names for a Leased Line are:
- Private Wire
- Dedicated Circuit
- Leased Circuit.
Characteristics of a Leased Line
- Non-metered service
- Flat-rate billing
- ALWAYS ON Connection (24x7x365)
- Can be provided over any medium: copper pairs, wireless links, optic fibre, satellite.
- Can be Point-to-point or Point-to-Multipoint (Frame Relay)
- Network Management to maintain high service availability.
Components of a Leased Line
- A twisted copper pair- provides the physical access medium
- A Data Termination Unit- delivers the data reliably and transparently to customer’s location
- An ADSL Modem- delivers the data across the ADSL Network
- A Router- translates the data received into IP packets understood by a customer’s computer LAN.
- An E1 Modem in some Places were they are getting high amount of Bandwidth.
- An ADM in some places for connection over Optical Fiber Cable
- An Ethernet Switch to connect via NGN
Applications supported by leased lines
- Data transfer
- Voice over IP
- Video signal transfer
- Audio signal transfer