boda 1

Insurance for Boda Riders


What is Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance?

Broken Bone Insurance is an insurance product that protects you if you break a bone.

Being a Boda Boda rider in Uganda is a risky job! Injuries can be costly and can hinder you from working and earning an income. UTCL is helping protect Boda Boda riders with Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance.

How much does Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance cost?

Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance is FREE to all Boda Boda riders who are active members of the UTCL Boda Closed User Group (CUG).

How do I qualify for FREE Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance?

If you are already subscribed to the Boda CUG, you must complete a one-time registration by sending an SMS with your full name to 185. After that, you will automatically qualify for the FREE broken bone cover. However, you must remain active to qualify for FREE cover every month (Being an active customer means making calls, sending SMSs, or using data on the UTCL network).

If you’re not a UTCL customer, buy a UTCL SIM card that is already pre-activated on the Boda CUG from any UTCL agent, service center or outlet. Complete the one-time registration process and you will automatically qualify for the FREE broken bone cover.

You can double your Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance cover by also conducting at least one M-Sente transaction per month.

How much does Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance pay if I break a bone?

Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance will pay you a fixed amount of 200,000 UGX per incident that causes broken bone(s). If you’ve qualified for double cover by doing an M-Sente transaction in the previous month, your benefit increases to 400,000 UGX per incident that causes broken bone(s).

The benefit is not related to any of your costs of medical care.

When does my cover start?

Your cover will start in the next calendar month after you sign up for the CUG, provided you’ve been active on the UTCL network. Each subsequent month the coverage runs from the first day of the calendar month through the last day of the calendar month.

If I break more than one bone, do I get more than one payout?

No, you only receive one payout per incident. For example, if you have a motor accident and break an arm and a leg, you will only receive one payout.

You are covered for a maximum of 2 incidents within a 12-month period.

Do I have to break my bone in a Boda Boda accident?

No, you are covered however you break your bone.

Which bones are covered?

Any bone is covered, as long as you can prove with an x-ray that it is broken. A “broken bone” means any bone that is fractured, whether it’s classified as a complete, incomplete, compound, or simple fracture.

Does Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance cover the costs of seeing a doctor and getting an x-ray?

No, this insurance product does not cover the cost of medical care or reimburse you for any medical expenses. It pays a fixed amount (either 200,000 UGX or 400,000 UGX) into your M-Sente wallet. This cash benefit can be used however you would like; perhaps to help offset some medical costs or to replace some income lost while you were injured and unable to work.

Are there any restrictions?

You must be at least 18 years old. There is no maximum age for Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance.

Does Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance cover other family members?

No. Cover is only for you, the registered UTCL subscriber who is an active member on the Boda CUG.

How long is my cover for?

Your cover is valid for one calendar month. If you want to extend your cover to the next month, you must meet the criteria again in the current month (being an active subscriber on the Boda CUG). This product is a UTCL promotion and may be discontinued in the future, with at least one month’s notice given to customers.

What happens if I break a bone?

First, seek appropriate medical care. Your doctor can advise you on whether you’ve broken a bone, and will likely send you to get an X-ray. Once you’ve had an X-ray and confirmed your bone is broken, call the UTCL hotline (Dial 100) and ask to file an insurance claim. They will give you all the information you need.

Which radiologists can I use to get an X-ray?

You can use any radiological facility licensed by the Government of Uganda for X-Rays.

How do I make a claim?

Call the UTCL hotline (Dial 100) to submit your claim. They will give you details on next steps. You will need to have an X-ray with your name on it showing the broken bone and a report from a radiologist stating which bone(s) is/are broken. Claims must be submitted within 90 days from the incident that resulted in a broken bone.

How will my claim be paid to me?

If your claim is approved, your benefit will be paid into your M-Sente wallet, where you can use it to transact or turn it into cash at an M-Sente agent location. If you are not yet an M-Sente customer, the claims agent will help you to set up an account.

We aim to pay claims in 72 hours or less once all the required information is submitted.

Is UTCL an insurance company?

No, your Boda-Sure Broken Bone Insurance product is insured through Britam Insurance Company of Uganda.

Are there any other conditions?

This policy only applies within the Republic of Uganda. Only one policy can be active per mobile number.

Where do I get more information?

Dial 100 to speak to a call centre agent. Likewise, you can send any comments or complaints to

Print Friendly, PDF & Email